The Bael tree or Bilva (in Sanskrit) is known for its spiritual and medicinal importance from years. Worshipping Lord Shiva cannot be completed without Bael patra. Its ternate leaves are called “Tripatra” (3 leaves) also commonly known as “Shiva Dhruma”. Hindus are known to offer these leaves in prayers to Lord Shiva and Parvathi.
The Bilva tree is said to possess the essence of celestial light. Also, each part of the tree is highly potent. In Skanda Purana (the largest Mahapurana, the Bilva is considered as one among Kalpavruksha, that emerged during Ksheera Sagara Manthana. Being highly potent, it is used in worshipping Lord Shiva and linked with many mythologies.
Let’s understand it’s health benefits mentioned by Ayurved.
Bilva (botanical name: Aegel mermelos) belongs to the Rutaceae family.
The Bilva tree is a native of India and is found widely in Asia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Thailand.
It is one of the Dashamoola (group of ten roots) herbs.
1. The unripe Bael fruit helps to cure disorders caused due to impaired gut health. Due to its astringent, bitter and pungent taste and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in balancing gut health and enhances digestive power and other metabolic activities significantly.
It is useful in peptic Ulcer, diarrhoea, gastritis, IBS and indigestion.
2. Being from the Dashmul family, it reduces inflammatory changes within joints and bones. The Bael stem bark also helps to treat rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis etc.
3. Bael leaves are known to effectively control blood sugar levels in one’s body. The juice from crushed Bael leaves is rich in laxatives, which helps in producing the required insulin to control the sugar levels.
4. Baelpatra is said to have anti-inflammatory properties and can be applied on any inflamed region for quick relief. Bael is said to have antifungal and anti-viral properties, due to which it is used in treating a number of infections in our body.
5. Bael leaves are also used to control cholesterol levels.
6. The oil that is extracted from the bael is known to be helpful in curing respiratory problems including asthma and cold.
This Shivratri let’s worship Lord Shiva with bael leaves, also try to enhance and embrace your health by adding medicinal benefits of bael tree.
Dr. Gayatri Kulkarni – Mulye
Blogger @ Turyaa Wellness
For regular updates, like and follow: